Pickler Memorial Library

1:18 Cumberland Presbyterian Church Interior

Photograph 1

    Object Title 1:18 Cumberland Presbyterian Church Interior
    Alternative Title South East Corner High and McPherson; Kirksville Photos by Drake, 1893: The Clifford Henry Album (MUSDP K1)
    Creator Drake
    Subject Kirksville (Mo.)
    Description Originally built by the Baptists in 1874, this building became the home of Cumberland Presbyterian when the two congregations traded places in December 1877. The CPs had outgrown their 1868 building and First Baptist, still in debt for the construction of this slightly larger facility, needed some financial relief. Both problems were solved with a switch of properties and a small cash payment to the Baptists to cover the difference in value. This sanctuary remained in service until 1922 when First Presbyterian (the CPs and the Presbyterian Church USA merged as First Presbyterian in 1906) built a larger sanctuary and educational building on the same site.
    Publisher Drake, Fotografer
    Contributing Institution Truman State University, Pickler Memorial Library Special Collections and University Archives (Owner, Digitizing Technician)
    Date Original 1893
    Date Digital 2014
    Type Collection; Still Image
    Format image/jpeg
    Source Originally created by “Drake, Fotografer.” This photo album is part of the Violette Museum Documents and Publications Collection titled "Kirksville Photos by Drake, 1893: The Clifford Henry Album (MUSDP K1)." The 35 original black and white photographs are 5 x 8 inches and mounted on 6.5 x 9.5 inches cardboard pages.
    Language English
    Rights All images property of Truman State University. Commercial use or distribution is not authorized. Notice: This material may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U. S. Code). Contact speccoll@truman.edu for reproduction and use rights.
    Item Information

    Object Title 1:18 Cumberland Presbyterian Church Interior
    Alternative Title South East Corner High and McPherson; Kirksville Photos by Drake, 1893: The Clifford Henry Album (MUSDP K1)
    Creator Drake
    Subject Kirksville (Mo.)
    Description Originally built by the Baptists in 1874, this building became the home of Cumberland Presbyterian when the two congregations traded places in December 1877. The CPs had outgrown their 1868 building and First Baptist, still in debt for the construction of this slightly larger facility, needed some financial relief. Both problems were solved with a switch of properties and a small cash payment to the Baptists to cover the difference in value. This sanctuary remained in service until 1922 when First Presbyterian (the CPs and the Presbyterian Church USA merged as First Presbyterian in 1906) built a larger sanctuary and educational building on the same site.
    Publisher Drake, Fotografer
    Contributing Institution Truman State University, Pickler Memorial Library Special Collections and University Archives (Owner, Digitizing Technician)
    Date Original 1893
    Date Digital 2014
    Type Collection; Still Image
    Format image/jpeg
    Source Originally created by “Drake, Fotografer.” This photo album is part of the Violette Museum Documents and Publications Collection titled "Kirksville Photos by Drake, 1893: The Clifford Henry Album (MUSDP K1)." The 35 original black and white photographs are 5 x 8 inches and mounted on 6.5 x 9.5 inches cardboard pages.
    Language English
    Rights All images property of Truman State University. Commercial use or distribution is not authorized. Notice: This material may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U. S. Code). Contact speccoll@truman.edu for reproduction and use rights.