Pickler Memorial Library

1:20 Pool's Hotel

Photograph 1

    Object Title 1:20 Pool's Hotel
    Alternative Title 212-218 West Washington; Kirksville Photos by Drake, 1893: The Clifford Henry Album (MUSDP K1)
    Creator Drake
    Subject Kirksville (Mo.)
    Description The American Hotel was built at this location (corner of Main & Washington) in 1870. When James S. Pool bought it in 1873, he changed the name to Pool’s Hotel (aka Pool House) and Isaac Brenneman kept that name when he bought it in 1884. Brenneman added the new wing which is prominent in this picture in the fall of 1891, just before selling back to Pool in early 1892. Pool, who was also agent for Pacific Express Company, continued to run his shipping business from the lobby of the hotel during Brenneman’s ownership. (You can see part of the Express sign just to the lower left of the main entrance.)
    Publisher Drake, Fotografer
    Contributing Institution Truman State University, Pickler Memorial Library Special Collections and University Archives (Owner, Digitizing Technician)
    Date Original 1893
    Date Digital 2014
    Type Collection; Still Image
    Format image/jpeg
    Source Originally created by “Drake, Fotografer.” This photo album is part of the Violette Museum Documents and Publications Collection titled "Kirksville Photos by Drake, 1893: The Clifford Henry Album (MUSDP K1)." The 35 original black and white photographs are 5 x 8 inches and mounted on 6.5 x 9.5 inches cardboard pages.
    Language English
    Rights All images property of Truman State University. Commercial use or distribution is not authorized. Notice: This material may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U. S. Code). Contact speccoll@truman.edu for reproduction and use rights.
    Item Information

    Object Title 1:20 Pool's Hotel
    Alternative Title 212-218 West Washington; Kirksville Photos by Drake, 1893: The Clifford Henry Album (MUSDP K1)
    Creator Drake
    Subject Kirksville (Mo.)
    Description The American Hotel was built at this location (corner of Main & Washington) in 1870. When James S. Pool bought it in 1873, he changed the name to Pool’s Hotel (aka Pool House) and Isaac Brenneman kept that name when he bought it in 1884. Brenneman added the new wing which is prominent in this picture in the fall of 1891, just before selling back to Pool in early 1892. Pool, who was also agent for Pacific Express Company, continued to run his shipping business from the lobby of the hotel during Brenneman’s ownership. (You can see part of the Express sign just to the lower left of the main entrance.)
    Publisher Drake, Fotografer
    Contributing Institution Truman State University, Pickler Memorial Library Special Collections and University Archives (Owner, Digitizing Technician)
    Date Original 1893
    Date Digital 2014
    Type Collection; Still Image
    Format image/jpeg
    Source Originally created by “Drake, Fotografer.” This photo album is part of the Violette Museum Documents and Publications Collection titled "Kirksville Photos by Drake, 1893: The Clifford Henry Album (MUSDP K1)." The 35 original black and white photographs are 5 x 8 inches and mounted on 6.5 x 9.5 inches cardboard pages.
    Language English
    Rights All images property of Truman State University. Commercial use or distribution is not authorized. Notice: This material may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U. S. Code). Contact speccoll@truman.edu for reproduction and use rights.