The Truman State University: The Early Years collection contains photographs from the years when Truman State University was considered a “normal school,” or a school that specifically trained high school graduates to become teachers. When the school opened in 1867, it was called the North Missouri Normal School and Commercial College, a year later it was renamed the North Missouri Normal School, and then in 1870, it was renamed again as the First District Normal School.
This collection of photographs are from the years 1867 to 1925, the first being when it opened, and the last the year after the original Baldwin Hall burned down. These snapshots help paint a picture of what the campus looked like at the time, as well as what it might have been like being a student at the Normal School. There are pictures of campus buildings, students in clubs and classes, as well as campus-wide events.